ICC/23/MUL/40 - Information Systems Engineering Officer (Platform Services)
The UNICC workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, and opinions. UNICC seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity by ensuring equal opportunity and an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Purpose of the Position:
The purpose of the position is to drive the productization of the existing platform services by providing architectural guidance for our platform services and best practices to ensure high customer value. The position will also require technical expertise to manage the systems used in the platform services, lead problem investigations and coordination and be the technical lead for projects related the platform services.
Objectives of the Programme:
The objective of the Centre is to provide trusted ICT services and digital business solutions to its Clients and Partner Organizations.
Main duties and responsibilities
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision and guidance of the Head, Infrastructure and Platform Management Unit (OPOI) within the Operations Division (OP) and in close collaboration with many other teams to engineer platform solutions that provides end-to-end value to our internal and external customers. This will require leading initiatives around security, availability, usability of the services using methods such as lean, agile, and continuous. The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Project management and Planning:
- In collaboration and guidance from the Head of Unit, lead operational projects to improve security, resilience, and efficiency of the platform services
- Support project managers by providing planning information and estimates for project with platform activities and contribute to identify risks and mitigations during the implementation
Technical leadership and advice:
- Provide technical advice to the Head of Unit and technical guidance and support to the team and, under guidance from the Head of Unit, develop new strategies and identify courses of action to accelerate/improve delivery of services in accordance with direction received from senior management
- Provide architectural and operational guidance to new services and projects that relies on the platform services and products
Customers and partnerships:
- Under guidance from the Head of Unit, manage actively customer satisfaction to understand their technical concerns and ensure services meet the expected Service Levels
- In close collaboration and guidance from the Head of the Unit, build partnerships across UNICC (including Business Relationship Managers, Service Delivery Managers, Project Managers, and other Service Owners), with the customers and suppliers to continuously improve the services and products, and to identify new opportunities
- Build strong collaboration with operations team and service-desk to ensure efficient execution of activities related to projects, service requests, incidents, changes and problems
Innovation and Knowledge management:
- Keep abreast and promote the sharing and understanding of industry good practices, new trends and technologies and evaluate these for possible adoption or Using this knowledge, and in close collaboration with the Head of Unit, contribute to the transformation of the way that platform services are delivered and consumed
- Strictly adhere to UNICC’s Change, Incident and Problem Management Establish processes for Capacity, Availability and Service Level Management, ensuring that all required processes are in line with agreed standards and that agreed metrics are in place and reported regularly and accurately; operating procedures should be standardised and documented to the greatest extent possible and automated wherever feasible
- Provide other ad hoc support either within the team or in other teams as required – this includes the participation in special projects or support to service delivery for short period of time on a part-time or full-time basis upon request from the senior management
Experience and Skills required:
- At least five (5) years of experience in managing and configuring systems related to platform service, including in one or more of the following areas:
- Managing and configuring operating systems (Windows and Linux) in large deployments
- Managing identity management solutions, including participation in the creation and implementation of domain level security policies such as authentication mechanisms, password policies and rules, security policies, reviewing domain level rights and privileges
- Implemented security measures to reduce vulnerabilities and to harden systems
- Worked in an environment that has well defined IT Service Management processes
- Architected cost-effective systems solutions for physical and virtual servers, on-premises, and cloud IaaS, including benchmarking and performance analysis
- Experience in designing and transitioning platform services to operations
- Strong conceptual thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills to support operations in identifying root causes and identify ways to optimize the work
- General understanding of networking, network services, IT infrastructure, virtualization, storage, and backup services
- Automated recurring tasks and processes using scripting and automation platforms
- Experience in managing platform services using CI/CD tools and Software Defined Infrastructure
- Implemented infrastructure or architectural changes to improve resilience
- Experience in productizing services
- Experience in cloud related technologies and services
- Experience in working in an international environment with remote and virtual teams
- First university degree in Computer Science
- Windows and/or Linux Certification
- IT Service Management Certification
- Security Certification
- English: Expert knowledge is required
- French or Spanish: Beginner knowledge is desirable
UNICC Global Competencies:
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective relationships with colleagues and team members. Deals constructively with conflicts.
- Communicating: Expresses oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others; listens actively. Produces effective written communications. Ensures that information is shared.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Demonstrates the ability to work constructively with people of all backgrounds and orientations. Respects differences and ensures that all can contribute.
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment Guides and motivates staff towards meeting challenges and achieving Promotes ownership and responsibility for desired outcomes at all levels.
- Producing results: Produces and delivers quality Is action oriented and committed to achieving outcomes.
- Moving forward in a changing environment: Is open to and proposes new approaches and ideas. Adapts and responds positively to
- Setting an example: Acts within UNICC’s / WHO’s professional, ethical, and legal boundaries and encourages others to adhere to these. Behaves consistently in accordance with clear personal ethics and values
Annual Salary Estimation (net of tax at single rate):
- Brindisi (Italy), including post adjustment (26,0% on March 2023): US$ 78,991.
- Rome (Italy), including post adjustment (32,0% on March 2023): US$ 82,753.
- Valencia (Spain), including post adjustment (30,0% on March 2023): US$ 81,499.
UNICC also offers generous leave and absence allowances, flexible working hours, overtime compensation, teleworking, access to training, and depending on eligibility other benefits such as relocation grants, dependency allowances, language allowances, or education grants.
Closing date for applications:
Applications will be accepted until midnight (Geneva Time) on 14 April 2023.
- Technical and/or personality tests may be carried out as part of the selection process
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
- Though you may not be selected for this advertised position, the UNICC will keep your application in a roster if your profile is deemed to be of potential interest for the Centre. You may thus be solicited by our HR department to participate in an interview for another position
* For UNICC staff members who do not meet the minimum educational qualifications, please refer to the applicable WHO e-Manual Annex 6 – Guidelines on Standard Minimum Experience Exposure and Education Requirements
UNICC is an international organisation with a strong global impact. They have developed many actions such as applications to help refugees get money when they arrive in a new country. This humanitarian aspect is very important not only from a commercial perspective, but from a human-centered organisation perspective that also focuses on building projects to benefit our society, a significant consideration in a world where everything is profit-oriented. In terms of management, the organisation has a high gender score, and a low turnover rate, which means that people want to stay in this company. And for women, the company also offers a supportive workplace, with a strong commitment to women's well-being and a fair career path.
– Caroline & the 50inTech team